Airbus Defence and Space is a division of Airbus Group formed by combining the business activities of Cassidian, Astrium and Airbus Military.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Service Operator and Digital Mapping Analyst has arisen with Airbus Defence & Space in Farnborough to work on the Copernicus programme.
The CDS (Coordinated Data Access System) layer of the CSCDA (Copernicus Space Component Data Access) has been established by the European Space Agency and is concerned with all aspects relating to the distribution and dissemination of satellite imagery procured in the context of Copernicus.
The CDS layer and its subcomponents are responsible for managing the interface between suppliers of the relevant datasets and the Copernicus projects (CSPs) that are using the data for these five main areas:
- Customer Interface functionalities (SCI), e.g. user registration, information portal updates, help desk and order desk, including interaction with the various Copernicus Contributing Missions (CCMs) user services to coordinate mission planning and production, emergency activations handling;
- Data Quality activities (CQC) to ensure data delivered by the CCMs is in line with requirements;
- Data Dissemination activities (CDD) from all integrated CCMs to the CDS infrastructure;
- Reporting on all service aspects (CRP), including internal (to ESA) and external (to CSPs) reporting;
- Configuration and coordination tasks (CCO) for ensuring overall system configuration is aligned and as expected.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Act as the first point of contact (help desk, service Support Desk Administrator) for all users of the CSCDA, and provide the interface with the other components of the CSCDA infrastructure and Copernicus contributing missions;
- Working in close cooperation with the help desk, assist users in translating their EO data requests into optimal data orders, taking into account quotas, availability of already acquired data and the feasibility of planning new acquisitions for pre-defined and on-demand EO datasets;
- Manage the full end-to-end data ordering process from the initial request to the final delivery of the data to the user;
- Proactively gather weekly information on the services provided by the users (CSPs) on activities related to their Copernicus projects, any relevant operational news and information on the Copernicus Contributing Missions (CCM);
- Edit the gathered information and publish in a user friendly and professional way to the appropriate sections on the CSCDA Portal;
- Handle emergency requests issued by the projects and translate into optimal satellite dataset solutions;
- Undertaking efficient emergency tasking assessments in order to select which satellite suppliers should be considered in support of the emergency requests;
- Prepare inputs as required for inclusion in the monthly reporting provided to the Agency;
- Provide input as required for updating the operational procedures and user guides;
- Ensure the execution of the tasks described continually meets or exceed the relevant contractual KPIs;
- Participate at regular team meetings, briefings and training sessions;
- Professionally represent Airbus Defence and Space at external meetings and conferences;
- Utilise the tools and constantly monitor their performance and look for any improvements that could lead to efficiency savings;
- Be courteous, professional and helpful to all users;
- Other tasks relevant to the business as directed;
- Assist with the technical bid preparation against individual tenders received from the EC on risk and recovery mapping;
- Use satellite data to undertake production mapping (Reference Maps, Pre-disaster Situation Maps and Post-disaster Situation Map).
- Week 1: 08:00 – 16:30 Monday to Friday
- Week 2: 11:30 – 20:00 Monday to Friday.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Degree in GIS, Geography or related discipline with previous experience in Remote Sensing.
- Customer Service experience is mandatory/key for this role.
- Experience of accessing commercial Earth Observation data catalogue systems, web content management systems.
- Working knowledge/experience of GIS Desktop Software (ArcGIS preferred).
- Previous data capture/editing experience preferred.
- Photointerpretation skills/experience using high resolution satellite imagery.
- Experience in dataset creation and Earth Observation products handling.
- Knowledge of Europe’s Earth Observation programme (Copernicus) would be a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail, good report writing and documentation skills.