A vacancy for an Equipment Engineer / Expert has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The role involves overseeing Payload Equipment activities across all active projects including specification, problem resolution, validation and in orbit anomaly follow-up. It also encompasses forward-looking aspects such as R&D, new product introduction and continuous improvement and support of our proposal team. The Equipment engineer is technically responsible for the equipment. As a successful applicant you be working with our suppliers, our design team, our Technical Authority. Involved with the equipment reviews in front of our Customers (SES, Eutelsat, Direct TV, Echostar, Telesat…). The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Generation of standard specifications and project specific specifications.
- Acting as technical focal point with input section element suppliers, with a view to creating development plans, resolving technical problems and ensuring design to cost and schedule.
- Ensuring closure on all technical problems and that lessons learned are implemented across all ongoing and future projects.
- Preparing/presenting technical presentations on input section aspects in front of end customers as required.
- Attending and presenting at project design reviews, as necessary.
- Devising and implementing metrics associated with improvements.
- Attending supplier evaluation reviews and making recommendations regarding preferred candidate(s) in terms of design, performance, risk, product policy and design to cost requirements.
- Ensuring validation of input section elements at satellite level once assembled.
- Maintaining an database of all relevant product information
This role will involve some travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Demonstrated competence and in depth knowledge of relevant RF hardware gained in a design/development/production environment.
- A methodical approach to work, with sufficient commitment and drive complete tasks, even where adverse conditions are encountered
- Strong analytical skills and Experience of working directly with customers/suppliers and with the ability to present ideas and concepts to the customer/supplier with authority.
- Ability to efficiently organise and co-ordinate their work.
- Ability to generate innovative solutions and to communicate them.
- A strong background and demonstrated competence in payload hardware and technologies applicable to space borne communications systems. This shall include practical experience gained in a relevant hardware development or production environment. Knowledge of payload input section elements, such as low-noise amplifiers, down converters, receivers.
- Experience in several of the following: Spaceborne communications system design and analysis; Payload system design and analysis; Payload integration, validation and test; Digital and analogue communications. Demonstrated leadership skills and line management experience would be an advantage.
- Strong background in payload equipment is required to lead this key area of advanced telecommunications payloads.
- Advanced level in English.