Bombardier Transportation is the number one provider of rail solutions in the world. Our business holds the number one global market position in eight of the ten markets we service. Our product portfolio includes a full range of passenger rail vehicles and we manufacture locomotives, bogies, propulsion and rail control solutions.
At Bombardier, 70,000 employees in 60 countries work together to evolve mobility worldwide – one good idea at a time. If you have a good idea, we’ll provide the environment where it will thrive and grow into a great product or customer experience. Your ideas are our fuel.
Based at our heritage engineering site in Derby, we are currently looking to recruit an experienced Mechanical Systems Engineer Work package owner (WPO)
This is a unique opportunity to shape the future of strategically critical train Mechanical Systems in a dynamic and fast paced environment on a global stage. The opportunities for further development are abundant through the Multiple Career Path scheme which will allow further development and recognition of your technical expertise
The Work Package Owner (WPO) will manage all the activities related to:
– The integration of Mechanical Systems (Gangways, Couplers, Toilets, Doors, Seats etc.) into the train platform.
– The delivery to time and cost of all work packages they are responsible for.
– The overall quality of the systems and supporting documentation.
The role involves the leadership and management on a daily basis of a team of systems engineers. The WPO organizes the work and harmonizes it with the other relevant activities and functions within the project (Engineering, Procurement, Suppliers, and other Participating Units), being responsible of the Quality, Cost, Lead time and delivery of the work packages they are in charge of. This will involve close liaison with the Mechanical Systems Manager and other Functional Managers to ensure supporting resources (licence checkers, reviewers, approvers etc.) are available as required.
Mechanical systems, engineering also accompanies the technical disciplines of electrical systems and functional integration. The specific Mechanical System of interest may also interfaces with the train control management system, and a working knowledge of the end to end functionality and overall system is essential.
The Mechanical Engineer will be accountable to develop and deliver solutions and innovations which deliver a competitive advantage. Responsibilities stretch through the product lifecycle from product development, test, through production, in-service support and finally decommission. In addition to this, an excellent knowledge of systems engineering and development, processes, methods and tools is essential and a good knowledge of product development processes and best practices is also highly desirable.
Key attributes of the person / role include:
– Excellent technical authoring skills and the ability to review, assess, and endorse designs.
– The ability to develop strategies for problem solving and provide input to design solutions.
– Participation in design reviews and the ability to provide sound engineering judgment
– The ability to manage multiple work streams, delegate and manage workload
– Act in the capacity of a delegated technical authority for Mechanical Systems.
– Have excellent industry knowledge and capable of representing Bombardier at industry working groups.
– Ensure on-time delivery and to the right quality
– Organize the work of the team and manage follow up of the QCD
– Define/update the work contents plan and allocate to the team members
– Follow progress on a daily basis
– Check spent to date and provide forecast at completion
– License checks/secure license checking of the deliverables of the team
– Interface with the other project activities and functions
– Harmonize planning with other functions
– Report progress to the System Engineering Core Team
– Identify risks and mitigation actions
– Contribute technically to the production of the contractual deliverables
– Produce or contribute to the production of technical deliverables
– Control technical Interface with the Customer
– Prepare and leads technical meetings with the Customer
– Implement decisions and follow up actions
– Identify technical scope variations
– Degree and/or Chartered status essential, Master’s Degree being desirable
– Relevant experience in a similar role, with a sound knowledge of Mechanical Systems Engineering practice and a proven demonstrable track record in the discipline of complex System Integration
– Significant experience and hands-on delivery of the whole product lifecycle process, from product development, test, through production, in-service support and finally decommission
– An excellent knowledge of systems engineering and development, processes, methods and tools is essential
– Technical domain experience essential, System Integration experience essential, System Architectural understanding essential
– Have excellent industry knowledge in one of the following: rail, automotive, defense
– Provide cost and schedule estimates on complicated engineering programs
– Provide technical expertise in general mechanical engineering systems
– Be able to demonstrate the ability to use this technical knowledge in the support of other departments (engineering, production, procurement, projects) and the development of less experienced engineering personnel
– Strong planning and coordination skills
– Ability to develop and deliver technical solutions and innovations, achieving a competitive advantage
– Ability to work individually, as well as part of a team
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills