Bombardier Transportation is the number one provider of rail solutions in the world. Our business holds the number one global market position in eight of the ten markets we service. Our product portfolio includes a full range of passenger rail vehicles and we manufacture locomotives, bogies, propulsion and rail control solutions.
At Bombardier, our employees work together to evolve mobility worldwide – one good idea at a time. If you have a good idea, we’ll provide the environment where it will thrive and grow into a great product or customer experience. Your ideas are our fuel.
We are looking for a Vehicle Engineer in Derby.
Purpose of the job
To technically define, develop and lead the electrical design and integration for rolling stock projects and tenders. With whole design lifecycle responsibility, from ensuring a complete and correct set of requirements are established to developing valid electrical train architectures and concepts that are fully integrated in order to deliver a class leading, competitive and compliant design
Key responsibilities and challenges
1. Project electrical lead with responsibility for developing the whole train electrical design (e.g. propulsion, Train Control, power distribution), directing and guiding the project’s design team to ensure key technical design decisions are made in a structured and timely manner and that all technical risks are identified and mitigated.
2. Ensuring the electrical design is fully integrated and verified through the design lifecycle against a complete and correct set of technical requirements, using best practice system engineering processes and tools (e.g. Design Reviews, Trade Analyses, Interface management, Requirements Management)
3. Leading the review of customer technical specifications and legislation in order to establishing the key train level operational, functional and electrical performance requirements and the subsequently development of the principle design architectures and concepts to meet these requirements. Ensuring key decisions regarding architecture, concepts and system technologies solutions are made in a timely manner to ensure bid and project timescales can be achieved.
4. The principal electrical technical interface for the project’s stakeholders; Lead Vehicle Engineer, Customer, Key suppliers, engineering functional heads and divisional leadership team, preparing and reporting technically on the project’s progress, issues and risks.
5. Planning and estimating timescales and costs associated with delivery of the scope of work associated with the role. Directly managing the scope of work during bids and projects.
If you want to know how working as a Vehicle Engineer looks like, check out the interview with one of our Vehicle Engineers: http://uk.bombardier.com/en/careers/career-development/Meet-the-team/Vehicle-Engineering.html
Degree and/or Chartered status essential, Masters Degree desirable.
Railway Technical domain experience highly desirable, System Integration experience essential, System Architectural understanding essential.
Evidence of having successfully led the train or vehicle level electrical performance and functional concept development and the subsequent integration of these concepts into a new train design.
Experience of defining, structuring and developing a rolling stock platform design highly desirable
Significant experience and hands on delivery of electrical design, analysis, development, testing and delivery of engineering solutions that solve complex requirements.
Experience in providing cost and schedule estimates on complicated engineering programs.
Experience of developing and applying a range of system engineering process and tools e.g. DOORS requirements management database
Ability to work independently through the application of acquired knowledge, precedent and judgment based upon standard procedures
Ability and desire to lead others as well as an ability to inspire, motivate and build enthusiasm.
Demonstrable ability to solve complex problems; analyse possible solutions using technical experience and judgement. .
Implements new and creative ways of doing things to improve products, processes, tools and services
Ability to design engineering systems and complex interfaces
Ability to gather and analyse complicated technical data, to solve system level design problems by performing system trade-off and coordination studies
Create novel design alternatives
Developing reliability, safety and maintainability approaches and decide on optimum design approach.
Experience in customer interface – anticipating underlying customer needs, by foreseeing unspoken customer needs and providing advice on available and customised products and services to address them. Leading design reviews internally and with customers
Impacts a range of customer, operational, project or service activities within own team and other teams whose work activities are closely related
Excellent communication skills, and being able to communicate across a wide group of audiences – engineering communities, customers (internal & external), senior management