Thales’ new US-based innovation practice, xPlor, is responsible for conceptualizing, developing, and commercializing new businesses for Thales Group (a $20B aerospace, defense, space, security and transportation company). Over the next several years, xPlor will create – from the ground up – 3 to 5 businesses that will generate profitable revenue streams for Thales within a 5 year time horizon.
Thales xPlor is seeking to recruit an experienced and entrepreneurial Strategy and Business Development professional to join its growing team. The successful candidate will support xPlor leadership by creating and defining new business concepts, conducting market and industry research, utilizing classic strategic planning and financial analyses to support conclusions, and staying abreast of global and macro-economic trends.
Roles and Responsibilities
– Assist in the conceptualization of new business ideas which solve large and ambiguous problems
– Create presentation / pitch materials to help in securing seed-funding from corporate stakeholders
– Identify disruptive emerging technologies that are complementary or enabling to Thales’ business lines and their strategic aspirations by engaging with US based institutions, including universities and entrepreneurial businesses
– Develop informed business cases based on data-rich market and industry analyses
– Support the operational launches of new businesses through various ad-hoc activities
Internal Management Consultant
– Conduct market research, competitive analyses and utilize strategic frameworks to support potential xPlor investments / ventures
– Create slide presentations detailing business cases, competitive analyses, financial analyses, industry analyses or other pertinent topics which impact xPlor
– Engage Thales GBUs and Business Lines to gain thorough understanding of core strategies
– Develop in-depth understanding of Thales resources, capabilities and internal networks
– Shape creative solutions to solve key problems for Thales USA businesses
– Write articles for internal and external publications on the industries or products being researched within xPlor
– Support sales activities for customer presentations
– Conduct detailed financial analyses (DCF, ROI, etc.) that support investment or business case decision making
– Support due diligence and investment activities for selected opportunities
Skills, Qualifications and Experience Sought
Experience: Candidate shall have experience in management consulting, venture capital, or private equity, with industry experience within the global aerospace, defense, transportation or medical device industries. Experience with a top-tier management consulting firm (BBM, Deloitte, Booz) is preferred. Must have experience in developing and executing business and product strategies & policies.
Communications: Must have excellent verbal and written skills and an executive presence. The ability to speak in front of large industry forums, individual customer meetings, senior executive and boardroom environments is critical.
Education: Candidate shall have an undergraduate degree or equivalent from a top-tier university (or equivalent work experience) with a preferred minimum GPA of 3.5.
Travel: Ability to travel at a moment’s notice to all parts of the world; may spend 30% of the time on the road; ability to work and be productive while traveling.