The Engineering & Science Services and Skills Augmentation (ESSSA) contract provides engineering, scientific and engineering technician support to NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) in Huntsville, AL. The Jacobs ESSSA Group is comprised of eight companies of Aerodyne, All Points Logistics, Bevilacqua, ERC, Jacobs, Lee and Associates, Qualis and Tuskegee. Each company, individually and in combination as the Jacobs Team, brings strong technical capabilities and value-added management strategies to the ESSSA contract. The Jacobs ESSSA Group works across the contract without boundaries governed by the Integrated Team Management Approach (ITMA).
Jacobs ESSSA Group offers a partnership in which you can grow personally and professionally with the advantages of strong leadership, competitive compensation, and rewarding career paths. Come join the team whose work is destined to have a long-range effect on future generations!
Candidate would provide subject matter expert level systems management support as a Deputy Discipline Lead Engineer specifically to the Space Systems Department Level III Integrated Avionics and Software Discipline Lead Engineer within the Space Systems Department at MSFC. Candidate would serve as an expert in avionics systems engineering and systems management and would be responsible for the integration of launch vehicle avionics (integrated hardware and software) for the Space Launch System (SLS) launch vehicle core stage. Duties may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Assisting or leading the planning for avionics hardware/software design solutions with special emphasis on hardware and software integration and test
- Supporting trade studies
- Performing systems analyses
- Supporting strategic planning activities
- Coordinating with the SLS core stage prime contractor
- Assisting with the technical integration of both hardware and software and recommending design solutions when appropriate
- Making technical risk mitigation/management inputs
- Coordinating technical performance measures
- Attending, providing input to, conducting, and/or presenting at technical reviews, working groups and board meetings
- Reviewing comments from meetings
- Developing integrated schedules, status reports, and other technical documentation
Providing periodic status inputs to project and ES management
At least a BS degree (MS preferred) from an ABET accredited institution in Aerospace or Electrical Engineering. Typically, educational requirements are the equivalent of a Ph.D., with minimum of 12 years experience, a Masters with at least 15 years experience, or BS with at least 20 years experience. A minimum of 15-20 years of related experience working with avionics, project/vehicle/subsystem integration, and systems engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Required Skills for this position include:
- Extensive experience in the coordination and integration of all avionics elements and the ability to communicate to all levels of management
- Expertise in avionics and integration of a launch vehicle
- Strong project management and systems engineering skills
- Practical experience with the planning and management of the technical integration, logistical planning, and test definition associated with software, avionics, and electrical systems
- Knowledge of technical and test risk mitigation planning
- Comprehensive understanding of Marshall Space Flight Center’s processes and working within the NASA environment
- Ability to review and provide relevant feedback on Level II and III technical products
- Excellent communication skills, technical writing, and presentation skills
- Strong customer relations skills, ability to multi-task, ability to be proactive in between formal assignments, and ability to get a task completed with minimal direction
- Familiarity with NASA Systems Engineering policies and procedures
- Employee must self-motivated, team player familiar with working in a dynamic work environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products such as PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
Desired Skills for this position include:
- Experience with Ares or SLS avionics or software
- Thorough knowledge/experience supporting the full life cycle (phases A-E), including but not limited to requirements, testing, prototyping, etc.
- Understanding/experience of contracting between NASA/MSFC and a prime contractor
Position may include travel.