The Director of Engineering is responsible for leading a team of Managers and Project Engineers during the startup phase, and other critical phases of programs and projects throughout the company. Director is responsible for manufacturing engineering activities including introduction of new technologies and development of the Product Data Management (PDM/PLM) system and Manufacturing Execution system (MES). Assigns managers and engineers to programs and projects as needs arise in the enterprise, especially where cross-plant activity is required. Director is also responsible for tool design for the enterprise and Material Review Board (MRB) engineering where dictated by customer contract. The Director will work with the assigned Program Managers and other functional leadership the development of new business and expansion of business relationships with existing customers. The Director will also ensure consistency and standardization in the deployment of engineering best practice across the LMI enterprise. While performing all duties and responsibilities, the Director will at all times, model LMI values and principles and act in a manner consistent with the LMI Code of Business Conduct and Ethics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
* Lead and develop an organization of Engineers and Technical Resources
* Develop methods and tools for consistent and standard engineering best practices
* Assure appropriate preparation of schedules, coordination and resolution of issues
* Ensure the development & deployment of a standard configuration and change management process for the enterprise
* Support proposal development and contract negotiations with customer
* Provide Programs with input on program milestones and performance metrics
* Coordinate with Director of Technology & Innovation in selection and deployment of key technologies for the business
* Consolidate and distribute standard reports of progress on all assigned projects
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Education/Experience: Bachelor’s Degree (Engineering degree is preferred) or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience with ten (10) or more years of experience in manufacturing management in the aerospace industry
* Specific Job Skills: Experience with manufacturing of aerospace components and assemblies. Must be able to read and interpret technical information such as blueprints, drawings, 3D models, and engineering data sets. Knowledge of lean manufacturing techniques and tools, project management, Microsoft Office and Visio are helpful.
* Behavior/Work Management Skills: Ability to work in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities and shifting time requirements. Must be able to promote a participative, team oriented environment, working with customers (both internal and external), all employees, vendors and others in a professional and respectful manner.
* Leadership Skills: Must model desired employee and leadership behaviors. Adept to managing change. Ability to set and meet goals. Effectively delegate to meet departmental and company objectives. Ability to identify and develop talent. Ability to give and receive feedback well.
* Communication Skills: Excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly and professionally, both orally and in writing.
* Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical materials and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, work instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, employees and vendors.
* Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
* Team Facilitation Skills: Able to facilitate team improvement activities spanning multiple processes with diverse teams in various geographical areas.
* Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, accounting and financial calculations and projections. Ability to produce and interpret financial reports in graph and diagram form.