Makani is working to make clean energy accessible for everyone by developing energy kites, a new type of wind turbine that can access stronger and steadier winds at higher altitudes to generate more energy with less materials. Makani is a part of X.
As a Structural Test Engineer for Makani’s Airframe Team, you will be responsible for managing and executing the structural validation of composite airframes. Work entails program management of numerous in-house and outsourced testing efforts for short term and long term structural qualification; specification, design, and analysis of bespoke testing equipment and fixtures, planning and running tests, recording and analyzing data and working with design engineers to provide feedback. Additionally, the Structural Test Engineer will work with and manage resources to parallelize efforts and meet critical testing goals. You will be a team player and willing to learn and operate in a fast paced environment with shifting priorities.
- Oversee the structural testing program for Makani’s airframe team. Plan and oversee a wide range of tests for prototype and production composite parts assemblies as well as R&D efforts both short and long term.
- Supervise outsourced program work: fixture design and fabrication and testing. Work with central Reliability, Validation and Systems groups to plan tests that meet overall program requirements.
- Create structural component and assembly test setups while working with part owners and Loads Engineer to ensure fixturing meets requirements. Execute proof, ultimate, durability and fatigue testing of large structures (25m composite wing for example).
- Create detailed test plans including safety mitigations and contingencies, conduct reviews and briefings. Work with engineers/technicians to instrument test articles, take test data and produce reports.
- Take ownership of DVP&R and FMEA efforts within the airframe team. Manage the daily tasks of technicians and engineers assisting with the airframe testing program.