Project Wing is working on self-flying vehicles that could open up entirely new approaches to delivering goods and services—including options that are cheaper, faster, less wasteful and more environmentally sensitive than what’s possible today. Project Wing is a part of X.The Project Wing team is developing an aerial delivery system based on self-flying aircraft (UAVs) operating in commercial air space.
As an engineer for Project Wing, you have excellent technical education and experience in estimation and perception techniques, simulation, and multi-modal sensor fusion. You have an outstanding track record of successful development of complex sensing and perception solutions from concept through successful deployment of technology into the marketplace. You have a proven ability to work within teams of highly talented, diverse engineers through solving tough technology problems that enable valuable business solutions.
Your primary responsibility includes developing the navigation and perception solutions that enable safe and reliable operation of self-flying aircraft in close proximity to people, terrain, buildings, and other ground obstructions. You are skilled at collaborating with cross-disciplinary team members to invent and create efficient technological solutions with creative and prolific skill. You have a bias for action and can break down complex problems into steps that drive technology development at Google speed.
- Create innovative, reliable, and efficient navigation and perception solutions to enable new and challenging aircraft capabilities.
- Work with multidisciplinary engineering teams to identify solutions and take them from concept to production.
- Participate in and support testing and integration efforts for the navigation and perception systems.
- Perform detailed analyses of system designs and test data, communicating the results to the Project Wing team and external partners and agencies.
- MS degree in Robotics, Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience working with visual odometry, visual SLAM or other techniques, involving optimal estimation of camera motion or scene geometry from imagery with aerial or ground vehicles.
- Experience programming in C/C++.
- Experience in estimation, dynamics, and controls.
- 5 years of experience working with multiple of the skills listed as minimum qualifications.
- 2 years of industry experience working with multiple of the skills listed as minimum qualifications.
- Experience with one or more of the following: visual/inertial integration, aerial image registration, point cloud processing, path planning.
- Experience specifying, selecting, and integrating cameras and other sensors.
X is a moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. X was formerly known as Google[x].