SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Satellite Attitude Determination and Control Engineer
- Design and analysis of Satellite Attitude Determination and Control systems
- ADCS hardware performance specification including reaction wheel and torque rod sizing, sensor noise and performance characteristics, redundancy and fault management
- Develop high fidelity 6 Degree of Freedom single and multi-vehicle simulation using C++
- Implement closed loop pointing, orbit raising, and station keeping algorithms
- Analyze platform stability to ensure low jitter of line-of-sight instruments
- Various first principles derived analyses
- Advanced degree in Aero/Astro, Mechanical, Physics, or Electrical Engineering.
- Candidates must have experience in classical dynamics, orbital mechanics, modeling and simulation, and software development in C++ and Python
- Demonstrated project or professional experience in either satellite attitude determination and control or orbit raising and station keeping
- Experience with flexible body control, orbital maneuvering, filtering, fault management, software development, and navigation filtering
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Cradle to grave development of three axis stabilized spacecraft incorporating momentum, magnetic, and propulsive control
- Low thrust trajectory optimization for orbital maneuvering
- Capable of identifying and solving complex problems with little to no supervision or direction
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Periodic travel to our Seattle office, with the possibility of relocating to that location after 6-12 months working at our headquarters in Hawthorne, CA.
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed