Aerojet Rocketdyne is an innovative company delivering solutions that create value for its customers in the aerospace and defense markets. The company is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader that provides propulsion and energetics to the space, missile defense and strategic systems, tactical systems and armaments areas, in support of domestic and international markets. Additional information about Aerojet Rocketdyne can be obtained by visiting our websites at http://www.Rocket.com and http://www.AerojetRocketdyne.com.
We are seeking a Director, Communications – Visual Media Services. This position will be based out of the Canoga Park, California office and will serve as the site’s managerial lead for the Communications Department.
We are seeking a Communications Director to lead the Visual Media Services team within the Communications department. This position is responsible for planning, developing and directing internal and external visual communications materials and programs to disseminate information concerning the Company’s activities, programs, strategies and product marketing collateral.
Analyzes, determines and aligns customer priorities to assure performance level agreements and cost objectives are met. Performs short- and long-range planning and implements approved plans. Informs senior management on critical communications matters. Helps prepare the organizations budget and participates in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies. Responsible for union contract administration for a technical photographer including responding to grievances and understanding the contract interpretation for the assigned functional area.
Sets the standard of ethical conduct, practices and personal integrity throughout the company to ensure the ability to attract and retain customers in a highly competitive environment.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each):
70% – Directs the daily operations of the creative disciplines that comprise Visual Media Services (VMS) throughout the enterprise. The creative disciplines within VMS include graphic design, video, photography, web development, animation/multimedia, eLearning, audio visual and duplication resources. Ensures overall quality and productivity standards are developed and maintained. Works with leadership to establish overall department goals and objectives, provides strategic direction for systems, projects and programs in area of VMS expertise. Sets goals, guides and directs activities of staff, assigns priorities of work assignments, resolves staff’s conflicts, coaches and mentors staff as required. Subject matter expert in developing, maintaining and applying corporate identity and branding standards and ensuring compliance on all internal and external signage, media and collateral throughout the company.
15% – Develops relationships with outside suppliers, contractors, consultants and resources to support project/task overflow, implement quality standards, cost containment, delivery schedules and safety protocols to ensure compliance with company policies and business practices. Ensures all commitments are met and invoices are paid in the appropriate payment cycle.
10% – Leadership responsibilities such as supervision, training and personnel management, team development, skill assessments, performance evaluations, salary planning, resource planning, continuous improvement activities, goal setting and team strategies.
5% – Travel to Sacramento and other sites as needed to meet regularly with staff to build relationships and ensure compliance to company goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field and 14 years of progressive work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess extensive multi-functional knowledge that makes up a Visual Media Services team.
- Must possess experience with the fundamentals, principles, practices and emerging trends of the creative disciplines.
- Directs and manages budgets, resource planning, project scheduling and metrics reporting as required.
- Knowledge of budgeting procedures and techniques.
- Effective team player with ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form with all levels of management and individual contributors.
- Demonstrated history of strong customer focus and attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to travel to other sites as needed.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance at the appropriate level (requires U.S. citizenship).
- Knowledge of emerging communication trends, tools and techniques in the areas of employee communication and external marketing and brand awareness programs.
- Knowledge in the use of research and results-based metrics related to VMS-related tactics to help determine effectiveness in reaching goals and assess return on investment.
- Knowledge or experience in computer systems and specialized software such as Final Cut Pro and all the applications contained in Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms to staff, management and customers.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements:
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit and to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 15 pounds; may require minimal walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.